Mommy N from Hearts of a Feather and Kate from LesBeMums both nominated me for another Liebster Award. Since I have recently completed a blog post all about the Liebster, I decided to accept these two nominations and do a combined question & answer post. I won’t be nominating additional blogs simply because I don’t really follow so many blogs that I could avoid a “tag back”. So here goes…
Questions from Mommy N
- What is the first commonality that you look for when meeting someone new? Sense of humor. I believe that to enjoy life, one must be able to laugh. Laughter lightens any mood or situation.
- Books or TV? In most cases, books. But there are a handful of TV shows that I absolutely love (e.g. The Young and the Restless, Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal, and The Fosters)
- What is your favorite time of day? Without a doubt, I am a morning person. I love waking up early and watching the Today Show with Jade. I like watching the sunrise over the ocean when we are at the beach. I bask in the feeling the morning sun on my face.
- What is your passion? This is a tough question. I have a lot of passions. I’m passionate about helping others. I’m passionate about equality. I’m passionate about family.
- Are you currently living or operating in your passion? My passion to help others is well served in my profession. By trade, I manage nonprofit associations. Every day, I get to help people grow their passions through the associations I serve. I am striving to put myself into a position to fight harder for equality. As for family, this blog is my testament to my efforts.
- Do you still believe in the kindness of humanity? I travel a great deal for work. My work has taken me to various cities and countries. In all of my travels, I have seen the very real kindness of humanity. Kindness transcends cultural and language boundaries. I’m definitely a believer.
- When seeking hope, where do you focus? Again, this is a tough question. I find hope in a lot of places and in a lot of forms. For certain, I am a woman of strong faith. I believe in God. I find hope in God. I find hope in my life partner, Jade. I am a spiritual woman so I also find hope in other areas. I find peace and strength in the morning sun and the feel of a soft breeze. I find hope in the face of my goddaughter who represents all that is right in the world. To be frank, in this TTC journey, I also find hope from all of you with your support and well wishes.
- Bandwagon or walk to the beat of your own drum? For sure, the beat of my own drum.
- Chocolate or vanilla? Chocolate.
- Grits or oatmeal? I may have been born in Baltimore but I was raised a southern girl (my mom’s family hails from the true deep south complete with red dirt roads and cotton fields) so Grits all the way (though I am pretty fond of steel-cut oatmeal with fresh blueberries).
- If given one day to make an impact on someone’s life, what would you do? Wow, N, you know how to phrase tough questions! I think we are all given the opportunity to make an impact on someone’s life every single day. I learned many years ago that you never know when something small you choose to do will have a true impact on someone else’s life. Sometimes, just listening can make an impact on someone’s life.
Questions from Kate
- If you could be any person (dead) from history, who would you be and why? Jade and I just talked about this question and you may find my response a cop-out but, I don’t think I would care to be anyone else. I really like who I am.
- If you could be any person (alive) from history, who would you be and why? I don’t think I would care to be anyone else. I really like who I am.
- What song would best describe you? There are a lot of songs out there that I love and that fit me perfectly. But to summarize many of my ideals and features, I would say Jill Scott’s Womanifesto.
- What would be you last meal on death row? Well, seeing how I am terrified of prison, I have never thought of this. But if I must, I would probably say indian food. Or seafood. Or one of my mom’s Sunday meals. Or sushi. Maybe Thai food. Or pancakes. Yes, probably pancakes. With real maple syrup. And thanks, now I’m hungry.
- What’s your favourite condiment? Sriracha. It’s so versatile.
- What animal are you most like? I would probably say a beaver. I’m always busy and can constantly be counted on to get a job done. I spend a lot of my time focused on my home.
- Who would you like to represent you in a film? (This is a stolen question but is an awesome question – sorry!) Kerry Washington as she portrayed Olivia Pope is Scandal. She’s a badass.
- Sunny day or rainy day? Sunny day unless I’ll be spending the day sleeping.
- What is your favorite moment in history? I have three. The day I met Jade (nine years ago). The morning after President Obama won his first election (going into my very Republican office was loads of fun). The moment the Supreme Court overturned the definition of marriage within DOMA.
- Old School/Vintage or Futuristic? Probably more Old School.
- Who would you swap places with for the day? Hmm… I don’t think I’d swap places with anyone else for the day. Everyone has his or her own share of problems and I wouldn’t trade mine for someone else’s.
So, just for fun, here are 11 random facts about me:
- I have lived in eight states and two countries.
- I am a black girl who cannot (and I mean really cannot) dance. Jade tries to teach me. No luck so far.
- I believe cooking is a chore but baking is pure bliss. Baking is beautiful.
- I love music. Jill Scott, Michael Jackson, and Prince are my favorite artists.
- I’m an amazing listener. But I’m also usually leading the conversation. I believe that one’s intellect and conversational skills are among the sexiest features of a person.
- I love experiencing other cultures. My best friend growing up was Punjabi.
- I never really came out. My family had a strict don’t ask, don’t tell policy until one day my mom asked when Jade and I were going to have a baby.
- My favorite movie of all time is The Color Purple. Forrest Gump is a close second.
- There is a real chance that I suffer from Ophidiophobia.
- While I am able to talk to crowds of people for business purposes, I am painfully shy in my social life.
- I am not a gold star lesbian.
Phew! Now you know far more about me than you probably ever wanted to know!