Last Wednesday night I began giving myself subcutaneous injections of 75iu of Follistim AQ. I’m not squeamish by any stretch of the mind but there is an art to giving yourself an injection. It’s totally mind over matter. The injection itself isn’t terribly painful. It’s a small prick as the needle is quite thin. I have a bit of discomfort while injecting the medication. Anyone could do these injections, I believe. By Friday evening, Jade (who has a legitimate fear of needles) began injecting me which made me feel like she is more involved in this entire process.
Friday morning I went back into the RE’s office for an appointment with Franny to review my progress. By late afternoon Franny called to give me the results of my appointment:
- Estradiol: 268
- Largest Follicle on Left Ovary: 8mm
- Largest Follicle on Right Ovary: 10mm
- Uterine lining: mm
- New Protocol: 50iu Follistim daily for three days
- Follow-up appointment: Monday, July 22nd
This morning’s appointment with the RE:
- Estradiol: 220
- Largest Follicle on Left Ovary: 10mm
- Largest Follicle on Right Ovary: 11mm
- Uterine lining: 7mm
- New Protocol: 75iu Follistim daily for two days
- Follow-up appointment: Wednesday, July 24th
So, it looks like my body is trying to respond but according to my ultrasound, I still have quite a few follicles on each ovary which means I run a risk of overstimulating and releasing too many eggs (and canceling this cycle). Sometimes it feels like I will never actually get to the insemination part of this process.